Sunny Farms Landfill’s Response to COVID-19
As the nation comes to grips with the impacts of COVID-19, we are all dependent upon essential businesses to support necessities for public safety and welfare. Waste management and disposal has been declared a nationwide essential public service for obvious reasons. Sunny Farms Landfill is prepared for this challenge because of the following reasons:
- SFL does not accept infectious, toxic, or hazardous waste of any kind. Including medical waste.
- Our employees have been trained in best-practice safeguards against COVID-19 by wearing protective gear, washing their hands frequently, keeping a safe distance from each other at all times, and practicing those measures in the community (outside of the secure work environment), where they are most likely to contract the disease. With regard to COVID-19, SFL may be one of the safest work environments in the community.
- We know from data provided by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) that the coronavirus is most often spread person-to-person – through a cough, sneeze or other human contact.
- While reports show that the virus can live on surfaces for short periods of time, the World Health Organization says the risk of contracting the disease from the surface of shipped packages, for example, is low.
- Construction and demolition waste accepted at our landfill spends days from point of origin through the rail transportation process – a five-to-10-day trip – before final disposal in our landfill. All waste is collected, loaded, covered, and disposed mechanically.
- Just as SFL is committed to following the CDC and WHO guidelines to protect employees and the public, so are the customers from whom we acquire the waste. For that reason, it is unlikely, or even impossible, to contract COVID-19 from construction and demolition debris at our landfill.
At a time of great disruptions, it’s natural for people to have questions and concerns. We hope this information will help. As always, we remain committed to the welfare of our employees, environmental health and operational excellence.